The average person has what is referred to as “rhino poaching fatigue”. Sharon will undertake this extra-ordinary initiative in an attempt to inspire involvement. Her aim is to get people to move from caring to doing for our wildlife and communities.
There is the symbolic linking together of the reserves in a rhino conservation stronghold, encouraging rhino custodians to continue their work and encouraging our conservations communities to form a “human fence” around our rhinos.
The 4 charities she will be running for are the follwoing :
- OLLI– One Land, Love It: Awareness, education, direct rhino conservation work, expeditions, OLLImove week – encouraging people to “move from caring to doing”. We support many reserves and initiatives as we don’t (unfortunately) have rhinos in our backyards!
- CCFA– Community Conservation Fund Africa: The official Mantis Collection conservation foundation, I will be partnering with CCFA for my 2024/5 Cape to Cairo running expedition, another Guinness World Record attempt with reforestation in Africa being the project behind it.
- Save the Horns:Eastern Cape based at Kariega Game Reserve, massive rhino range expansion program that is close to all our hearts.
- Project Rhino KZN:Headed up by Grant Fowlds, together with his brother Will Fowlds, the world renowned rhino vet! Their focus is reserve and ranger support and youth development, amongst others.
- Care for Wild Rhino Sanctuary: Care For Wild Rhino Sanctuary is the largest rhino sanctuary in the world and probably THE rhino conservation success story of the century! These people are true rhino angels on earth who work tirelessly to care for orphaned rhino calves. Most of the orphaned calves from poaching incidents end up at CFW. They have gone the full circle whereby the calves are rewilded and these former orphans are now breeding IN THE WILD!!!! In the last 6 months they’ve had 3 brand new healthy happy calves born in the rewilding reserve. What an amazing story!!!
The percentages will be as follows:
- OLLI – 25%
- CCFA – 25%
- Save the Horns – 25 %
- Project Rhino KZN – 15%
- Care for Wild – 10%